Full moon camping trip - Tung O, High Island UNESCO Global Geopark
Date: Sunday, October 24, 2020. Hosted By: Dave. Meeting Place: 10:00 AM, Sai Kung Carpark.
What to expect
Due to popular demand and the success of our last camping trip, we celebrate our return to the ocean with a 2 day exploration camping trip of the outer Shelter Bay coast.
The forecast, although too far out to be too accurate shows we are still in our summer pattern of winds from the south – warm & humid days and nights.
The plan is to take off from Sai Kung early – by 10:30 am and paddle directly to our campsite at Tung O, High Island. This will be about a 2 hour paddle, but we will stop once for a break and swim (to cool down on a hot day). Once at the campsite, we will have lunch and offload our camping gear.
The afternoon exploration will be determined by the wind and sea conditions out passed the outer islands, but our main destination will be Po Pin Chau & Long Ke Wan. This will be a long first day, but the club hasn’t visited here for more than 3 years, so will be another unique and beautiful trip.
Our overnight camp will be under the light of a full moon!
Day 2 and our return to Sai Kung will easier and more relaxed. Probably a brief swim at Basalt Island and depending on the wind and weather will be a relaxed paddle home. Shelter Bay is always a great day out.
Download our camping checklist here – https://seakayakhongkong.com/sea-kayk-packing-check-list/
All the normal club rules apply:
1. The trip is free – but if you don’t own your own kayak it will cost HK$300 per day to hire equipment to be paddling in.
2. We need forward payment to secure the equipment hire.
3. Bring everything you need for the expedition – reference our camping equipment checklist at https://seakayakhongkong.com/sea-kayk-packing-check-list/
4. Make sure you have dressed appropriately and have a change of clothes, a hat, sunscreen, wet shoes and drinking water. NO SINGLE USE WATER BOTTLES, please!
5. Limited camping gear is available for rental if you do not own your own.
Yung Shue O Village
New Territories, Hong Kong SAR
Phone / whatsapp: